Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Brandon & Whitney: An Engagement

January 23, 2011

































When planning a winter photography session, you have to be a little leary of Mother Nature. The day before I met Brandon and Whitney, she dumped a fine blizzard on pretty much the entire state! But on Sunday, even though we never got the mercury above 15 degrees (brrrrrr!!!), she gave us a bright and sunny day with lots of blue sky and color. Not always the best situation for photographing... but never a problem if you know some locations with shade!

Whitney and Brandon chose me as their wedding photographer for their September wedding because her cousin, Monica, found me first! And so far she hasn't smacked me for calling her by her cousin's name, so I think we're definitely becoming fast friends! Brandon and Whitney showed up at my door in their warm peacoats, ready to face the freeze!

We started out in a location one of my brides from last year turned me on to, a little park next to the Grand Rapids Veteran's Home. There was at least a foot of snow for us to trek through, but Brandon and Whitney were good sports, and didn't even make fun of me when I ended up laying in the snow to try to get a silhoette shot (it didn't work exactly as planned, but not bad! Check it out below).

Whitney's idea for her engagement session was to do a country-to-city theme, as that's how she and Brandon have been living these days. They are from a small town in mid Michigan (actually, right next to my hometown!) and recently moved to Holland. So we finished off our chilly engagement session by swinging over to downtown GR's Calder Plaza and the awesome photo spot behind the Amway Grand Hotel.

It was great to meet you, Brandon and Whitney. I am definitely looking forward to working with you too again, and in warmer weather as well. Enjoy your photos!





 ^Some climbing was involved for this shot... what a brave couple of mine!





^This is the one that I ended up on the ground for. I couldn't quite place the sun, but it still looks pretty cool!

^A cute little kick-kiss :-)






^This one is so cute!!! I love it, one of my faves.

^City time! Hanging out by the Calder statue.


^This got a little perilous because of the slippery snow, but they pull through it!







^I love how she's on her tip toes to give Brandon a kiss!

 ^Okay, so this is the same shot as the last one, but it's a great way to end it!
My photo
Capturing moments, creating memories.