Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lake Michigan at Holland State Park

March 9, 2014

This has been the craziest winter that I can remember. The whole country is feeling the freeze, and we're all hoping spring is just around the corner. Before that happened, though, I wanted to make sure I saw Lake Michigan before it got around to melting. Michigan has been literally FREEZING all winter long, and the Great Lakes hit a record of being over 90% frozen this year. There's been a lot of melting since the warmer weather this last week, however you wouldn't have known it from visiting Holland State Park, as my husband and I did this weekend. While the Great Lakes themselves didn't quite hit the 1979 record of being frozen, Lake Michigan DID break a record at 93.29%. Isn't that crazy? The wind was pretty bitter on Sunday, and we didn't have much sun to speak of as I was hoping for but we did manage to get a few cool photos out on the lake. We didn't stay long. Mike has the cold I'm just getting over and I didn't want to break my camera by falling on all the ice, but it was worth getting to see it!

After checking out a few of my shots, see some more awesome photos on the Huffington Post's blog.



^Looks like the waves froze on the breaker out there!

^The little light house where there's a little open water.

^Maybe the lack of sunshine was worth it!
My photo
Capturing moments, creating memories.