Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Doug + Sarah: Engaged (Grand Rapids Wedding Photographer)

January 14, 2012

























I've been dreaming of this shoot for years. Then Doug and Sarah came along to make it happen! I met these two back in October, where we discussed their wedding for THIS October, and they mentioned that for their engagement session, they'd like to do something with ice skating. Yay! I FINALLY get to do my ice skating session at Rosa Parks in downtown Grand Rapids! Up until this weekend, we haven't had any snow sticking on the ground here in West Michigan, so I was worried our cute little city shoot might be a little gray and gloomy, but just as Sarah predicted, it started snowing on her birthday -- the Thursday before -- and just wouldn't stop. The result was a gorgeous winter wonderland in downtown Grand Rapids.

Despite the cold and snow, we spent the better part of two hours hanging around about a two block span of downtown, hopping from one location to the next, with me there all giddy and excited. Took a quick stop in a coffee shop to wait for the ice rink to open, and traipsed around in the newly fallen snow. You know I'm dedicated when I even lay on the freezing cold ice to get a shot! Even though the most of the session wasn't actually spent skating, it was great fun and we had a blast. Life is good.

Sarah is a girl after my own heart. She's excited to plan the exact wedding of her and Doug's dreams. Not to mention it's going to be at Castle Farms in Charlevoix (yay!) and feature DESSERT as the main course. Exciting! She's got some great ideas for her bouquets and colors, and I just cannot wait to work with her and Doug in another seven months or so. But for now, enjoy their engagement session!

^This blue wall (AMAZING!) has been eluding me for months. However, it turns out it was hiding in plain site all along!







^Ahhh, it's love!




^A good way to warm up.




^Sarah did this cute scrunchy face when Doug kissed her cheek. I love it!



^I think this is my absolute favorite!

^Don't let them fool you; it's cold out there!

^Loving me some candid snow walking shots.

^Time for some skating action!


^The burden of the seasoned skater... when you skate with someone less seasoned, you almost always have to lace up their skates for them ;-)

^This is about the only time Doug can toss Sarah around with out too much in the way of repercussions!


^Really like this one too!

^From down on the ice ;-)


^Time for the Red Wing's game!
My photo
Capturing moments, creating memories.