Monday, November 25, 2013

Newborn Photography

November 9, 2013

 
Just a few weeks back, I attended a workshop focused solely on newborn photography. I've done my share of sessions, but I knew I was missing something. What better way to improve your work than to learn from a few pros? The pros in question were Laurie and Krista of Simply Newborn Art, a studio out in Essexville who do an amazing job with little babies. We spent the day with two little ones and their parents, and learned some posing ideas, got some freebies, and generally had a good time. The most important thing I learned? Patience! Newborns cannot be reasoned with (or bribed, like little kids ;) so you have to take your time, and wait for them to sleep. Also, they will likely pee on things! Haha! I put these theories and some posing and lighting ideas I learned into effect for the session I did a week later and sure enough, success! You'll see more of that session on the blog later this week.
 
It was lots of fun learning from Laurie and Krista. I can't wait to work with more little ones and even further my abilities to make them look adorable. If you have a baby on the way, schedule with me now! Five to fifteen days old is the best time to work with babies, and my studio is all set up for them to come and have a great session!
 
Special thanks to Mary from Studio M in Holt for hosting!

Brielle

First, meet little Brielle. She was our first little model at 9 days old, and what a darling one she was. She took a little while to get to sleep but once she FINALLY did, she was a great little lady to work with. Her adorable parents got in on the action too.


^So cozy!





^No wonder Brielle is so pretty!

Owen

Next up was little Owen, 14 days old. He was a little harder to convince about going to sleep. We improvised and did some cute awake shots of him instead. Then he finally decided to sleep and we were able to do the hands-on-face (aka the froggy) pose, even if he is a little crooked! There's another trick to it, but I'm not telling! What a cutie!

 
^Wide awake. Go to sleep, little man!



^I was lucky enough to catch this little smile! Not all of us were!

^Such a cutie!
My photo
Capturing moments, creating memories.