Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Interlude: Fine Art Photography

June 28, 2019

One of my favorite places in the world is where we go on vacation just about every year in the summer, the Hiawatha Sportsman's Club in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. While we were UP North this past week, we went up to the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point in Paradise. We took an alternate route back home and we went by this old wrecked house. From the second I saw it, it spoke to me. And it took a little pleading, but we were able to take a quick minute to stop there last Friday evening just before sunset. Though it was brief, it couldn't have been much more perfect.

My girls had just had ice cream, and my oldest was perfectly contented to don her overall dress and pose a bit for me. My youngest, on the other hand, was super angry about the whole situation. And while of course I feel bad about having made my 2-year-old cry (it certainly wasn't the plan), I feel like, as a series, these images work so much better with that emotion she has in the images she appears in. Especially in contrast with the calm and content look on her older sister's face.

These aren't my usual bold and colorful style of images, but I've been experimenting with more moody images lately and this is a reflection of that. I also have a few thoughts on what these images "mean" (my college photography major self is just loving this set of images!), but I'll let you look at them yourself and come up with your own story, at least for now.

P.S. This really feels like a throwback to my senior thesis project from 13 years ago, of which many images were taken just miles from this spot. I may have to share some of those again soon.











My photo
Capturing moments, creating memories.