Thursday, April 21, 2016

Addyson: In Action (Grand Rapids Children's Photographer)

April 18, 2016



In the ten years I've been doing photography for clients, I've learned a few tricks. Some took a little longer to learn than others. One I have gotten much better at in recent years (for obvious reasons) is learning to work with little ones. Some kids, especially the set between 18 months and 3 or 4 years, are particularly hard to wrangle, as they don't respond well to bribery and other handy photography tactics. I've found that those mobile little ones needs to do just that... be mobile. Though you are less likely to get the cutesy posed smiles in the locations you were hoping for, you will get lots of cute moments that are unscripted.

Addyson is the perfect example. She's a normal little two-year-old. Tons of energy and not a lot of ambition to stay in one place! We tried a few different things to talk her into sitting still, but she wasn't having it. So instead, I followed her around the front yard of her grandma and grandpa's house for the better part of an hour, snapping away. I talked her into a few cute things, that only lasted for a couple seconds, and even taught her how to snap a photo. Though she wouldn't consent to sit by Mom and smile, we sure got a lot of great shots in between all that action.

This was my second trip to Sue and Hank's house to photograph their granddaughter, as I was there just about a year ago for Addyson's one-year photo session. She made me work harder this year, but I think I like the photos just as much. Addyson, it was so much fun playing with you again! Thanks again to your family for letting me come by and hang out!

^First, we were off to playing with her Uncles' old tractors.

^Gotta get some running in!



^Waiting for Mom at the front door.



^Raspberry snack break.


^Being adorable! These front stoop shots are my favorite.




^Peeking at Nana and Papa.


^This is the point where I showed her how to press the shutter to take a photo. She was intrigued.


^Running from Mom is more fun than posing with her, apparently!

^Tongues out for both Addyson and Tess!

^Guard dog ;)

^Banana snack break.



^Friends forever :)

My photo
Capturing moments, creating memories.